Preventing Surgical Site Infections
Collatamp G can be applied in a number of surgeries to reduce the risk of surgical site infections:
- Diabetic foot ulcer (osteomyelitis)
One 10 cm x 10 cm or one 5 cm x 20 cm Collatamp G implant can be used for every 22.2 kg of bodyweight (equivalent to 9 mg gentamicin/kg). The number and size of the implants should be selected so that a total dose of nine milligrams of gentamicin sulphate per kilogram of body weight is not exceeded.
To ensure a safe and effective application of Collatamp G:
- Ensure that your patient does not have an allergy to protein or gentamicin.
- Remove the sterile inner package from the outer carton, and place on the surgical tray. impacts are either 10 cm x 10 cm x 0.5 cm (200 mg gentamicin sulphate) or 5 cm x 20 cm x 0.5 cm (200 mg gentamicin sulphate)
- Cut Collatamp G through the sterile package for desired use.
- Collatamp G is a powerful haemostat - ensure gloves/forceps are free of blood before handling Collatamp G
- Place the dry Collatamp G on the area to be treated, which should also be as dry as possible.
- Apply light pressure to the impact until adhesion is achieved.Label patient records using ‘Easy Peel’ Collatamp G lot numbers/expiry stickers that are provided in the carton for your convenience.
Because the gentamicin is evenly distributed across the collagen implant, you can be confident in the gentamicin concentration regardless of how Collatamp G is manipulated or implanted.